Thursday, August 27, 2009

Breakfast for dinner


This week, Rick hasn't been able to come over since he has had to do work at home in preparation for next week. I remember him having to do this last year, but it still makes me a little lonely without anyone to cook for besides myself. Tonight, I really needed to go to the grocery store, but with the darkening skies approaching, it would be a much better idea for me to whip up something for myself that didn't require that I leave the house.

My freezer had a couple of lonely frozen meals, but I save those for weekdays when I don't have leftovers to enjoy the next day. I also didn't feel like thawing out the half pound of shrimp either. The one thing that caught my eye was the bag of frozen Grands Biscuits. My stepmother introduced me to these wonderful, frozen delights several years ago when I was visiting North Carolina. At first glance, it doesn't seem possible that these small frozen disks will become a delicious fluffy biscuit, but trust me when I say that such a miracle does happen! I tossed around the idea of using the little bit of sausage that I have left (before it goes bad) to do a sausage biscuit, but then it hit me...biscuit and gravy!!!!

Making gravy is really pretty easy. While the biscuit was baking in the oven, I browned enough sausage to make a patty and broke it up along the way. Once the sausage was cooked, I reduced the heat and added 1% milk to the pan (enough to cover it) and two splashes of heavy cream. I also added about 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour and little bit of fresh ground pepper and salt. I used the heavy cream because I know what a pain it can be to get the gravy to thicken when using reduced fat milk (which is what I usually do). I let the mixture come to a boil and thicken before serving over the halved biscuit. I know Rick was jealous when I told him about my dinner. :)

Here is the recipe. I left it a little open with the ingredients so that it can be adjusted for more than one person. Enjoy!!!


Biscuits and Gravy
Ingredients
1 frozen Grands Biscuit per person
1 sausage patty per person
Milk
All Purpose Flour
Fresh Ground Pepper
Salt


Directions
Preheat oven to 375F per direction on the Grands Biscuit bag. Once the oven has preheated, cook biscuit(s) until they are golden on top (probably around 15 minutes).

While the biscuit(s) is/are cooking (when you have about 5 minutes of cook time left on the biscuits), brown sausage over medium high heat. After it has cooked thoroughly, add enough milk to cover the sausage, around 1 tablespoon of flour, and salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and simmer to let the mixture thicken.

When the biscuit(s) are done, take them out and half them. Cover biscuit with gravy. Divide gravy mixture evenly between biscuits if doing more than one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link within

Related Posts with Thumbnails