Baked Pasta with Sausage, Tomatoes, and Cheese
- 3/4 of a pound package of uncooked ziti
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage links
- 1 chopped sweet onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 (14.5-ounce) cans petite-diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) 6 cheese blend
Preheat oven to 350F.
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain the pasta, and set aside.
Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage, onion, and garlic in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Add the tomato paste, salt, pepper, and tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Combine cooked pasta, sausage mixture, and basil. Place half of the pasta mixture in a 4-quart casserole dish. Top with half of mozzarella and half of Parmesan. Repeat layers. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until bubbly.