Monday, November 02, 2009

Taking on Tzatziki

While I was at Publix gathering the few ingredients and necessities that I needed for my Greek Shrimp dish, I stumbled across Greek yogurt in the dairy aisle.  It was called Oikos Organic Greek Yogurt.  I lamented the fact that they didn't sell pre-made tzatziki sauce, but my mood was immediately lifted when I saw on the side of the container directions for making this white, tasty treasure.  Should I dare try to make my own based on this simple recipe?  Of course I should!  I bee-lined straight (back) to the produce department, grabbed two cucumbers, and headed to check out.  The original recipe can also be found on the Oikos website. With that to go on, here's what I came up with...  I gotta admit that I was pretty impressed with my first attempt, and I'm pretty picky about tzatziki.  You can serve it with pita bread, veggies, or in a gyro.  




Tzatziki Sauce

Ingredients
2 cucumbers

1 cup Greek yogurt
3 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste


Directions
Peel and seed cucumbers.  The seeds can be taken out using a melon baller or a spoon once the cucumnbers have been halved.  Grate the cucumber and place into a small bowl that is lined with a coffee filter.  Use the filter to squeeze out the excess water and place the shredded cucumber in a medium bowl.  Press each clove of garlic and add to the bowl.  Add yogurt, white wine vinegar, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.  Stir together until well mixed.  Refrigerator for at least one hour.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link within

Related Posts with Thumbnails