Saturday, February 27, 2010

Caramelized Onion Tartlets

I've been trying to get into the habit of having some sort of hors d'oeurve for Rick and I to snack on while I'm preparing dinner so that by the time dinner is ready we aren't starving which leads to overeating.  For tonight's treat, I found this recipe on epicurious.com for caramelized onion tartlets.  I changed it up a little bit, and I ended up with a delicious snack.  My only complaint with the tartlets is that it takes FOREVER (or so it seems) for the onions to caramelize.  Because I knew that this would be an issue, I started on them prior to Rick's arrival. 

Here's what I did.

Caramelized Onion Tartlets
Ingredients
  • 2 onions, thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons, extra virgin olive oil
  • 3/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 4 oz soft light cream cheese
  • 1 tablespoon  finely sliced green onion
  • 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
  • 1 package of mini-phyllo shells (around 15 per package)
Directions
Cook onion, butter, water, salt, and pepper, covered, in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderately low heat, 10 minutes. Remove lid and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is deep golden brown and very tender, about 30 minutes.

Heat shells on a baking pan for 5 minutes.

Stir together cream cheese, sage, and green onion and divide among shells, then top with caramelized onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link within

Related Posts with Thumbnails