Monday, April 12, 2010

Flank Steak with Cucumber-Pepperoncini Relish...yep, it's another Greek inspired grillin' night

Rick was away for most of the weekend at the Masters, and while I had toyed with making some sort of mushroom-centric meal, I opted to go out to dinner with a friend on Friday and then had Homecoming for the College of Nursing on Saturday.  Oh well.  For dinner this evening, I had tossed around a couple of ideas...some sort of casserole, but the weather is so nice that it would've been a shame not to spend part of it at the grill.  I went searching myrecipes.com for something new to try, and I came across this recipe for flank steak with cucumber-pepperoncini relish.  It was featured in Cooking Light magazine so it would be perfect for our goal of eating better!  I also liked it because it gave me an excuse to make my famous tzatziki sauce
to serve with grilled pitas that we brushed with olive oil and Italian Seasoning (from the grinder).  This time, I also added a little bit of the Garlic and Herb grinder that we used with the Brussels sprouts.  Instead of serving the cucumber relish on top of the steak, we ate it on the side.  And I gotta say, it made fabulous leftovers today!

Here's what we did...

Flank Steak with Cucumber-Pepperoncini Relish
Ingredients
  • 1  (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/2  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/2  teaspoon  black pepper
  • Cooking spray
  • 2  tablespoons pickled pepperoncini pepper pickling liquid
  • 2  tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon  Dijon mustard
  • 1  pickled pepperoncini pepper, chopped
  • 2  tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 2  tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
  • 1/2  English cucumber, quartered lengthwise and sliced (about 1 cup)
Directions
Sprinkle both sides of flank steak evenly with garlic, salt, and black pepper. Massage seasoning into steak.

Combine pepperoncini pickling liquid, olive oil, and mustard in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add chopped pepperoncini pepper, parsley, cheese, and cucumber to oil mixture in bowl; toss well to combine. 

Grill steak 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Place steak on a cutting board; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Uncover; cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices.

Serve steak with relish.

Enjoy!!!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Katie,

    I have never been much of a cook but you have shown me some really wonderful recipes. I am not sure I could pull off the wontons, but I can surely make the flank steak dinner. Thanks for writing such a great blog. These are great!!!

    ReplyDelete

Link within

Related Posts with Thumbnails