Sunday, June 06, 2010

Open Crab Cake Sandwiches with a Pickled Okra Relish

During my search for something to do with my bounty of okra, I came across this recipe on myrecipes.com.  I thought that it would be a nice jumping off point for our meal on Sunday night.  I wanted to do something a little more than just a crab cake, and serving it as an open-faced sandwich sounded like a cool idea.

To say that this meal was labor-intensive was an understatement, I got started about an hour and half before my expected ETA for dinner.  Rick didn't come over because he has been busy unpacking and settling in his new place, but my friend, Kelly (of all of the wonderful Kelly Creation posts), came over to join me.  Granted, I was taking my sweet Sunday time this Sunday evening, but I doubt it would be something that I would ever do during the week. Using crab meat from crab legs instead of lump meat from a container or can (like the guy at Publix tried to talk me into getting) definitely added the time, but both Kelly and I agreed that it was amazing. Besides, using lump crab meat not only is more expensive (Publix has snow crab legs on sale this week), but it also takes all the fun out of it!

The crab cakes and relish could definitely stand alone without the open sandwich part. I gotta admit that I did the open sandwich so that I wouldn't have to make a real side dish:  We enjoyed it with some reduced fat Pringles (gotta love coupons!) with it, though.  I had to tell Rick how great it was, and I can't wait to make it for him.  I think it will definitely make our Top Ten.
Here's what I did...

Open Crab Cake Sandwiches with Pickled Okra Relish
Ingredients for Relish
  • 3  tablespoons  olive oil, divided
  • 1  ear fresh corn
  • 1/2 of a medium-size red onion, minced
  • 10  pickled okra pods, thinly sliced
  •  1 clove garlic minced
  • 1/2 can of diced tomatoes (no salt added type)
  • 2 1/2  tablespoons  rice wine vinegar
  • 1/4  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/4  teaspoon  freshly ground pepper
  • 2  tablespoon  chopped fresh cilantro
 Ingredients for Crab Cakes
  • 2  tablespoons  fresh lemon juice
  • 2  tablespoon  minced fresh chives
  • 1  large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 1/2  tablespoons light mayonnaise
  • 1/2  teaspoon  salt
  • 1  pound  fresh crabmeat
  • 1/2  cup panko (plus a little extra for a plate to coat the crab cakes)
  • 1/4  cup extra virgin olive oil
To Make 'Em Open Face Sandwiches
  • 2 English muffins
  • Romaine Lettuce
  • 1 tablespoon light mayo per muffin half
  • extra virgin olive oil
Directions for relish
Put 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small plate and brush over corn,
Broil corn 5 inches from heat, turning occasionally, 13 to 15 minutes or until edges of corn kernels begin to brown (about 5 minutes and then turn); cool. Cut corn from cob.
Combine corn, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, and remaining ingredients; toss gently.

Directions for crab cakes
Stir together first 6 ingredients; add crabmeat, and toss gently. Stir in breadcrumbs. Cover and chill mixture 30 minutes. Shape into 4 patties.
Cook crab cakes in hot oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat for  4to 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.

For the sandwiches
Brush each half of the English muffins with extra virgin olive oil and toast in a toaster oven.

Place 1 tablespoon of light mayo on each English muffin half and the top with a piece of lettuce.  Top with a crab cake and then with relish.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by! These were amazing! If you make them, please let me know how they turn out. Have a Happy 4th of July!!

    ReplyDelete

Link within

Related Posts with Thumbnails