Saturday, July 10, 2010

Crab Cakes with a Roasted Red Pepper Aioli

Harris Teeter had crab legs on sale last week so I grabbed a big ole frozen bag.  I've turned into a sucker for crab cakes, and I like experimenting with different toppings and cake recipes.  Since I was out of eggs this weekend (and not feeling like going to the grocery store), I opted to use light mayo only for the cakes.  I came across this recipe on myrecipes.com, and I was immediately interested in the red pepper aioli.  It was the perfect way to get rid of the end of a jar of roasted red peppers that I had in my refrigerator.  The aioli turned out delicious (and it goes well with Triscuits, too!), but I wasn't that impressed with the crab cakes.  I opted to bake them instead of frying, and I really think that, sadly, frying does make them taste better.  I'm trying to eat a little better these days (not that a mayo aioli and crab cakes are all that fabulous for you), and I'm hoping that making small changes like baking instead of frying will start to snowball into larger ones for us.  I'll spare you the sub-par crab cake recipe (I would recommend using this one here) be definitely share the aioli one!

Here's what we did....


Roasted Red Pepper Aioli
Ingredients
1/3 cup drained roasted red pepper
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon green onion, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 cup light mayonnaise


Directions
Add the first 4 ingredients to a food processor and process until just a little chunky.  In a medium bowl, mix the mayo and the red pepper mixture.  Cover and chill in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link within

Related Posts with Thumbnails