Sunday, July 04, 2010

Steak fajitas!

I like to think of this meal as my first iPhone dinner since I used my new iPhone and the epicurious.com app to make the grocery list and cook it at Rick's new place.  One of the things that I've been looking forward to when I finally got an iPhone was this app!  As I'm sure is obvious, I'm a huge fan of epicurious.com, and I've been admiring the app on their website for quite some time now!  If anyone out there was any other awesome cooking related (or not) app suggestions, please send them my way!  I'm looking forward to playing...umm, using my iPhone for a long time to come!

Okay, so back to the meal.  Sadly, Rick and I haven't been cooking anything new recently or at all really.  With the holiday weekend, we decided that we going to change that.  We've been spending more time at his new place, and last weekend, he bought one of those tabletop gas grills at Lowes.  It's really cool and allows us to be able to grill on his back porch (one of the things that I love about his place).  While he was running some errands yesterday afternoon, I decided to check out the epicurious.com page for some ideas for dinner, and I came across this one.  I thought that it sounded yummy, and what better way to celebrate the 4th of July than with some Mexican!  LOL!  Based on the reviews on epicurious, I decided to marinate the steak for a few hours while we were at the pool.  I also added cumin to the lime juice marinade.  Being that we were cooking at Rick's place, I had to stock up on a couple of kitchen necessities to take over there including salt and pepper grinders and a juicer when I went to the new Harris Teeter to get steak.  I ended up getting the pre-cut fajita steak instead of doing the cutting myself.  We used 0.62 pounds which made a little bit more than enough for two (perfect for snacking on later).  The fajitas turned out great!  Using balsamic vinegar with those ingredients wasn't something that I would have thought to do but the onion (and green pepper) were a perfect compliment to the meat.  Given the small amount of meat that we used, I think that going with one onion and one green pepper and a whole pound of steak would be perfect for 4 servings which is what I'm recommending in my recipe here.  I look forward to making this one again!

Here's what we did...

Steak Fajitas with Lime and Cilantro
Ingredients
1 lb steak (I used the pre-cut fajita steak from the grocery store)
1 sweet onion, peeled and cut into wedges
1 green pepper, cut into strips
1cup chopped cilantro leaves
Juice of one lime
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons salt and 
2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
Small torillas
Salsa of your choice
Sour cream (if desired)
Shredded cheddar cheese (if desired)

Directions
In a shallow dish, mix steak with lime juice, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, and 1/4 cup cilantro.  Cover and place in the refirgerator to marinate for 1-2 hours.

In another bowl, mix onions and green pepper with 1/2 tablespoon oil, balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup cilantro, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper.  Cover and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 1-2 hours

Marinating time for both can be as short as 30 minutes if you do not have the full 1-2 hours.

Heat grill to medium heat.  Place the onion and pepper in a grill basket and cook for 15 minutes.  Remove the onions from the grill basket and place in a bowl.  Place steak in the grill basket and cook for 10 minutes.  Remove steak and add to the bowl with the onions.  Stir steak, veggies, and remaining cilantro together in the bowl. 

Toast tortillas on the grill for about 1 minute.

Serve steak, veggies, salsa, and cheese and sour cream (if desired) in wrapped tortillas.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link within

Related Posts with Thumbnails