Thursday, August 12, 2010

Bay scallops and linguine in a wine sauce

Tonight, I did something that I haven't done in a long time:  I just threw something together and hoped for the best.  Harris Teeter had bay scallops on sale, and I was inspired by the mussel dish that I had a Sette last Friday night to make a wine sauce.  I dug out some of the crab stock that I had in the freezer to use (you can substitute clam juice if you don't have any stock handy).  Last night, Rick had wanted us to cook something, but honestly, I wasn't in the mood.  I was tired and cranky, but it's amazing what a difference a day can make!  I was totally in the mood to cook tonight and actually be somewhat creative.  I warned Rick that I was pulling it out of you-know-where, but luckily, it was a winner!  We enjoyed it with some Texas Toast which was perfect for dipping in the sauce and also topped it with some shaved Parmesan cheese.  YUM!!!!


Here's what I did...



Scallops with a Wine Sauce
Ingredients
1/2 box of whole wheat linguine
1 pound bay scallops
1/3 cup basil, chopped
1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 can of diced tomatoes (no salt added type, do not drain)
2 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup crab stock
1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Salt and pepper

Directions
Cook pasta per directions on the box.

Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.  Add garlic and scallops to the skillet, season with salt and pepper, and saute for 3 minutes.  Remove scallops with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl.  Cover with aluminum foil to keep it warm.  Add onions, basil, and tomatoes to the skillet.  Season with red crushed pepper as desired.  Increase heat to medium-high and simmer for about 10 minutes until it starts to thicken.  Add stock, wine, and butter, and season with additional salt (I used about 1-2 teaspoons of salt) and pepper.  Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.  

Plate linguine and top with seafood sauce.  (It should serve 4).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link within

Related Posts with Thumbnails