Monday, August 30, 2010

Grilled Chicken with Spicy Brazilian Tomato and Coconut Sauce

When I was in North Carolina over the weekend, my dad gave me some fresh jalapenos from his garden.  As soon as I got settled yesterday, I started searching the internet for something to make with them!  I knew that I wanted to make salsa, but I also wanted to make something else.  I had some chicken breasts in the refrigerator that I needed to use so I narrowed my search a wee bit more.  I came across this recipe, and it looked like the perfect recipe for me to make for Rick and I for dinner.  Rick didn't come with me to NC because he has some work to do at home, and I was so happy to see him when he came over last night.  I'm hoping that I can talk him into coming up with me at some point this fall so that we can enjoy the cool weather and see the leaves in the mountains.

The recipe kinda reminded me of one of my favorite dishes, Brazilian Shrimp Stew, but when it was all put together, it didn't have that wow factor that the stew did. Rick and I agreed that it wasn't that exciting. I do have to say that I liked it better when I had it as leftovers, though.  We served it with rice. The jalapenos weren't that hot so I think that next time, I'd use more.  Here's what we did...

Grilled Chicken with Spicy Brazilian Tomato and Coconut Sauce
Ingredients
  • 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 packages of skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • 1 teaspoon  salt
  • Fresh-ground black pepper
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 2 jalapeño peppers, seeds and ribs removed, minced
  • 1 1/4  cups canned crushed tomatoes in thick puree
  • 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
  • 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Directions
In a baking dish, combine 3 tablespoons of oil with 3 cloves minced garlic. Coat the chicken with half of the garlic oil and season with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. 

Heat grill to moderately high temperature (we use gas), and cook the chicken for about 20 minutes until it is cooked thoroughly (turning around 4 times while cooking).  Place the chicken on a plate a cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.

In a medium saucepan, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.  Add the onion and cook until translucent.  Add garlic, jalapenos, and ginger and cook for another 1 minute. Next, add tomatoes, coconut milk, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes.  Stir in cilantro.  Serve the sauce over rice and the chicken.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link within

Related Posts with Thumbnails