Sunday, October 18, 2009

Adventures in Baking Part 2


Tomorrow is the Student Nurses' Association Bake Sale. Normally in these situations, I open up a box of Ghiradelli Brownie Mix and call it a night...especially considering that I spent the weekend in North Carolina for my cousin's wedding. Yesterday while I was out shopping with my stepmom and Vicki, I purchased a new cookbook and a Taste of Home magazine. As soon as I got them, I envisioned myself on the couch with them in my hand in the kittens on my lap as I searched for something new and exciting to make. I was flipping through the Taste of Home magazine this afternoon when I came across this little recipe for Chocolate Chip Raspberry Bars. It seemed easy enough, and I'm a sucker of anything chocolate! I decided to do the Ghiradelli brownies and try out this new recipe.

I have a confession, though. After all the fun this weekend, I am rather tired which can make me rather forgetful. It wasn't until I took the raspberry bars out after the initial 5 minutes of baking that I realized that I forgot to put the egg in! Needless to say, I had to start over. Rick got a good laugh out of it when I told him about it. I ended up using almost the whole 18 oz jar of the seedless raspberry jam because it was a little difficult to spread. It wasn't until I started to try to cut them that I realized that sometimes, less is a better thing! The end result was very delicious albeit a little sweet and rich (and messy!!!). And yes, I did save a couple for Rick to enjoy.

Here's the recipe:

Chocolate Chip Raspberry Bars

Ingredients
  • 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup cold butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 cup seedless raspberry jam
  • 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chip
Directions
Preheat oven to 350F.

In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in egg and extract just until moistened. Set aside 1 cup of crumb mixture for topping.

Press the remaining mixture into a greased 11 inch by 7 inch baking pan. Bade at 350F for 5 minutes. Spread the jam and sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until golden brown.

Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Return to the oven for 30 seconds or until chips are glossy. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Link within

Related Posts with Thumbnails