Saturday, September 05, 2009

Easy Gameday Enchiladas


An unfortunate "run-in" with another car yesterday was the final road block against my going to Chapel Hill this weekend to see the Heels take on my grad school alma mater, The Citadel. Even though I was fine (as was the other driver), I decided that I really didn't want to drive for five hours alone. The best part of my not going is that I get to see Rick this weekend. School has started for me, and work has gotten stressful for him so I'm very happy to be spending time with him.

Last night, I decided that I wanted to make enchiladas. I've never made them before, and I love the challenge and adventure of making a new dish. As is my custom, I went searching the internet for ideas. I came across this recipe on foodnetwork.com and decided to tweak it a bit to make it my own. Doing them today for the first day of college football seemed like a good idea. Rick was over and doing work on his laptop while the enchiladas baked in the oven and ESPN Gameday played in the background. It was really hard to keep from snacking on the rotisserie chicken last night because it smelled so good. I was nice enough to let Rick eat one of the legs this morning when I started shredding it. My preference for salsa is always the ones that are near the produce instead of the ones with Mexican food at the grocery stores. They have a lot less sodium. I'm hoping that someday, I will master making salsa, too. When the enchiladas came out, I barely had time to take picture of the first on one of my UNC plates before Rick grabbed it and ran.


Easy Gameday Enchiladas
Ingredients
1 rotisserie chicken
1 cup light sour cream
1 16 oz container of salsa (I used Chachie's medium)
1 can of Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce
1 1/2 cup grated Cheddar Cheese (I used 2% milk cheddar)
1/2 cup grated Mozzarella Cheese
1/2 sweet onion finely chopped
Salt and pepper
6 8-inch tortillas
Cooking spray


Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.

For sauce:
Mix the salsa and enchilada sauce together in the blender.

For enchiladas:
Shred rotisserie chicken and place in a large bowl. Discard skin and bones/carcass. In a smaller bowl, mix cheddar and mozzarella cheeses together. Add sour cream, onion, 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce, and 1 cup of cheese mixture to the shredded chicken. Salt and pepper to taste. Mix thoroughly.

Place around 1 cup of chicken mixture on a tortilla and roll the tortilla. Place tortilla seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat with remaining mixture and 5 tortillas. Cover the enchiladas with sauce, reserving a little bit. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and place in the oven. Cook for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, remove dish from oven and discard aluminum foil. Add rest of cheese mixture to the top of the enchiladas and cook for another 6-8 minutes.

When serving, I put a little bit of the reserved salsa on the plate and then placed an enchilada on top of it. Enjoy!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Link within

Related Posts with Thumbnails