Saturday, September 12, 2009

A Katie Classic: Brazilian Shrimp Stew!


Yes, it was back in my single days that I first made this recipe, and I was all alone. It was a shame that I didn't have Rick with me to be one of the first to try it. I probably ate it for a week, but I loved it! When Rick and I first started dating, I'm sure it was among the first that I made for him. I wanted to impress him, and I promise it is smooth and silky when it hits your mouth. He says that it's not his favorite meal that I make, but it's definitely in my top 5 ever. I love it when Rick and I do all the cutting together, but sometimes, I'll do the prep work myself before he comes over so that we can get started sooner.

I've shared it with many people and made it for several friends and my family so it's only appropriate to post it here. I rearrange the order of the original recipe because it sometimes takes longer to do all the prep work and you don't want the shrimp to "cook" in the lemon juice.

Here's a link to the original recipe from epicurious.com, and here's my version.

Ingredients
1 1/2 lb large shrimp in shell (21 to 25 per lb), peeled and deveined
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 (14- to 15-oz) can petite diced tomatoes including juice
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
5 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
1 can well-stirred canned lite coconut milk

Accompaniment: cooked white rice


Directions
Cook onion and bell pepper in olive oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add cayenne, 1 tablespoon cilantro, and remaining teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, 1 minute.

Toss shrimp with black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, garlic, and lemon juice and marinate, covered and chilled, 15 minutes. (you want to do this here so that the shrimp doesn't "cook" in the lemon juice)

Add tomatoes and simmer briskly, stirring, until mixture is very thick, about 15 minutes.

Stir in coconut milk and bring to a boil, then add shrimp mixture and cook, stirring, until shrimp are just cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes.

Serve over rice.

When I plate this, I usually take a 1/4 or a 1/2 measuring cup, scoop rice into, place it in the center of the plate, and then put it the stew around it. Garnish with cilantro on top of the rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link within

Related Posts with Thumbnails