Sunday, September 20, 2009

Grilled Chicken Breasts with Corn Salsa


As my final semester of nursing school moves forward, I'm wishing that I had more evenings to cook for Rick and I, but with clinicals that start at 6:45 am, I am cooking more for myself than us. At least I have Ty and Weezy to keep me company now. Too bad, they don't have thumbs, or I'd have them chopping, too!

I've also decided to start eating more healthy dishes. This one is one of the first lower fat meals that I've tried in a long time. I'm of the belief that just because it's healthy, it doesn't have to taste like crap. I turned to my favorite place on the internet for recipes, epicurious.com in search of the perfect meal. I've been craving grilled chicken lately, and when I stumbled across this recipe, I knew that it would be the perfect way to use up some of the chicken that I bought on sale at Publix this weekend.

I did the marinade for the chicken first, and I opted to stray from the recipe and use Corona Light instead of dark beer. I also added two gloves of garlic and doubled the amount of low sodium soy sauce. I let two chicken breasts marinate for two hours and thirty minutes.

The corn salsa...all I can say is wow! Once I got it together, I sampled it with some tortilla chips, and it was as awesome as the recipe reviews say! It was a struggle not to continue eating it all. I immediately called Rick and told him how delicious it was! I foresee myself making it again in the very near future!!! I did use the juice of half a lime (had to do something with the other half of lime that I had) and added one clove of minced garlic.

Grilled Chicken Breasts with Corn Salsa


Ingredients
Salsa
  • 1 1/4 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • juice of half of a lime
  • 2 teaspoons chopped seeded jalapeño chili
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced

Chicken
  • 1/2 cup Corona Light
  • 2 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 teaspoons chopped seeded jalapeño chili
  • juice of half of a lime
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
Directions
For Salsa:
Combine all ingredients in bowl. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill.)
For Chicken:
Combine first 5 ingredients in medium bowl. Add chicken and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
Preheat barbecue (medium-high heat) or preheat broiler. Drain chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Grill or broil chicken until just cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Cut chicken into thin diagonal slices. Arrange chicken on plates. Top with salsa and serve.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds so yummy as do many of your other posts - actually all of them. I also love to cook for my family of 5. Your recipes tend to be more adventurous than mine - I look forward to trying some. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Link within

Related Posts with Thumbnails