Saturday, September 04, 2010

Saturday Salsa Fresca

Those that know me well know that I disdain uncooked tomatoes.  It's something about that smushy, mushy core with the seeds that just kills me.  I don't mind them cooked, and I love them in salsa.  I've never successfully made salsa fresca. I haven't tried in a while, and my last attempt was way too chunky.  I have a food processor now (of course, I've had it for quite a few years now...yes, it's been that long since I made salsa) which should take care of the chunky problem.  I modeled my salsa after my favorite salsa fresca in the world which is found at Carrburritos in Carrboro, NC.  Mine had a few changes (I used lime instead of lemon because I had one here).  I decided to give making salsa another try as a way of using some of the jalapenos that my dad gave me last weekend.  I liked the end product though I think that next time I will use a sweet onion instead of a red onion because it was a wee bit onion-y.  Rick really liked the lime in it, and I agree.  It just adds something that is often missing from most store bought varieties.  A big improvement over my last salsa adventure!

Before

Here's what I did...

Salsa Fresca
Ingredients
5 tomatoes, cored, seeded, and diced
1/2 onion, chopped
2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
Juice of 1 lime (or lemon)

Directions
Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blend together.  Refrigerate and serve.  


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. 1. I heart Carrburritos. 2. I will be trying this soon! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always have to go there when I'm in CH! One of my best friends used to work there when they first opened and I went all the time! I miss it.

    ReplyDelete

Link within

Related Posts with Thumbnails